Expanding Contraception Service in the UK Book Now
In recent times, the NHS has emphasised expanding access to contraception services, and community pharmacies like Chippenham Pharmacy and Health Clinic play a crucial role in this initiative. With the updated NHS guidelines, pharmacies are now equipped to not only continue providing the oral contraceptive pill (OCP) but also initiate prescriptions. This advancement means greater accessibility and convenience for you.
Chippenham Pharmacy takes pride in providing a comprehensive contraception service, which covers the initiation and continuous supply of the oral contraceptive pill. Our services align with the latest NHS guidelines, guaranteeing you convenient and top-tier care. Rest assured, we prioritise both the quality of our service and your well-being.
What Our Contraception Service Includes
- Personalised Consultation: Whether you’re considering starting the oral contraceptive pill or need a resupply, our expert pharmacists are here to guide you through every step.
- Health Checks: We conduct essential health checks like blood pressure and BMI assessments to ensure the chosen contraception method is safe and suitable for you.
- Privacy and Comfort: Our consultation rooms are designed to provide a private and comfortable environment for all your health discussions.
Why Choose the Oral Contraceptive Pill?
The oral contraceptive pill remains a popular choice due to its effectiveness and ease of use. But it’s crucial to understand if it’s the right option for you. Our pharmacists can help you navigate this decision, considering your health and lifestyle needs. Some benefits of the OCP include:
- Prevents Pregnancy: When taken correctly, the OCP is 99% effective in preventing pregnancy.
- Regulates Menstrual Cycle: The pill can regulate your menstrual cycle, reducing symptoms like irregular bleeding and cramps.
- Improves Skin Conditions: Certain types of pills can also help improve skin conditions like acne.
What to Expect During Your Consultation
During your consultation, our pharmacist will discuss your medical history and current health status. They may also conduct necessary health checks and provide you with information on the different types of contraceptive pills available. Based on this, they will recommend the most suitable option for you.
Other Methods of Contraception
Understanding your contraceptive options is key to making empowered decisions about your sexual health. While Chippenham Pharmacy contraception service only includes the oral contraceptive tablet, we are committed to providing you with comprehensive information and guidance on the other various contraception options available.
- Condoms: A barrier method that not only prevents pregnancy but also offers protection against sexually transmitted infections (STIs). Available in various sizes, textures, and even flavours, condoms are a popular choice for safe sex.
- Intrauterine Device (IUD): A small device inserted into the uterus to prevent pregnancy. IUDs can be hormonal or non-hormonal (copper) and are known for their long-term effectiveness.
- Contraceptive Implant: A small rod placed under the skin of your arm that releases hormones to prevent pregnancy. It’s a long-term method, effective for several years.
- Contraceptive Injection: This method involves hormone injections that prevent pregnancy, typically administered every few months.
- Vaginal Ring: A small, flexible ring inserted into the vagina that releases hormones to prevent pregnancy. It’s used on a monthly cycle.
- Diaphragm: A barrier method placed inside the vagina to cover the cervix and prevent sperm from entering. It must be used with spermicide for effective protection.
- Oral Contraceptive Pill (OCP): Often referred to simply as ‘the pill’, this is a daily medication that can effectively prevent pregnancy. There are two main types – the combined pill and the progestogen-only pill, each suited to different health needs and lifestyles. As part of our contraception service, our pharmacists are able to provide expert advice and guidance on choosing the best option for you.
- Contraceptive Patch: A small adhesive patch placed on the skin that releases hormones to prevent pregnancy. It’s changed weekly.
- Emergency Contraception: Also known as the ‘morning-after pill’, this is used to prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex or contraceptive failure. It’s most effective when taken as soon as possible after the event.
Your Health, Your Choice
Each contraceptive method has its unique features, benefits, and considerations. Our pharmacists are trained to provide tailored advice, taking into account your medical history, preferences, and any concerns you mxight have.
Contraception and Smoking
If you’re a smoker, you can typically use a variety of contraceptive methods. However, if you’re over 35 and smoke, you need to be cautious about certain types of contraception, like the combined pill, the patch, or the vaginal ring, as they may not be suitable for you. It’s a good idea to talk with your GP or a healthcare professional at your local healthcare clinic for more personalised advice. For those over 35 and smoking, the following contraceptive options are generally considered safe:
- An Intrauterine Device (IUD)
- The Intrauterine System (IUS)
- A Contraceptive Implant
- The Contraceptive Injection
- The Progestogen-Only Pill
Why Choose Chippenham Pharmacy for Your Contraception Service?
Our team is highly trained and adheres strictly to NHS guidelines and service specifications. We maintain top-notch standards in our consultation rooms and use NHS-assured clinical IT systems for secure and efficient service delivery. Understanding the need for flexibility, we offer remote consultations via telephone or video call, ensuring your comfort and convenience without compromising on privacy or quality of care.
- Expertise and Experience: Our pharmacists are well-versed in the latest contraceptive methods and guidelines.
- Comprehensive Service: We provide a full contraceptive service, from initiation to ongoing supply of the oral contraceptive tablet.
- Client-Centric Approach: We prioritise your health and comfort, offering personalised and private consultations.
Visit our website for more information and read our blog for general healthcare tips, travel advice and vaccinations and much more. If you would like to book a contraceptive service consultation, simply click the button below.
FAQs: Menopause and Perimenopause
Click the + to read any answer or then either a category or tag to view all questions under that category or tag.
At Chippenham Pharmacy, our contraception service offers:
- Personalised Consultation: Guidance on starting or continuing the oral contraceptive pill.
- Health Checks: Important assessments like blood pressure and BMI to ensure the safety and appropriateness of the contraception method.
- Privacy and Comfort: Our consultation rooms are designed for confidential and comfortable health discussions.
The safest method of contraception largely depends on individual health factors, preferences, and circumstances. Generally, Intrauterine Devices (IUDs) and contraceptive implants are considered among the safest and most effective forms of contraception. They have a success rate of over 99% in preventing pregnancy.
The oral contraceptive pill is favoured for its high effectiveness and user-friendliness. It is essential to assess if it aligns with your health and lifestyle requirements. Some of its benefits include a 99% effectiveness rate in preventing pregnancy, the regulation of menstrual cycles, and the potential to improve skin conditions like acne.